Thai Papaya Salad. Traditionally in Thailand green papaya salad is made using a clay pestle and mortar and a spatula. Pound the garlic and chillies to a paste. Add the dried shrimp, peanuts and long beans and pound to bruise.
Pound again and toss to combine. The taste should be sweet and salty in perfect balance, with a sharp, sour and spicy tang. Spoon the salad into a serving bowl and sprinkle over the dried shrimp and toasted peanuts. You can have Thai Papaya Salad using 9 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Thai Papaya Salad
- It’s 1 buah of pepaya muda/hijau.
- It’s 1 genggam of ebi, cuci bersih. Tiriskan.
- It’s 2 siung of bawang putih.
- Prepare 3 biji of cabe rawit.
- Prepare 1/2 sdt of garam or 3 sdt kecap ikan.
- It’s 3 sdm of gula pasir/madu/gula palem.
- Prepare 1 buah of jeruk nipis.
- You need 1 sdt of asem jawa.
- Prepare 1/2 sdt of terasi.
Thai green papaya salad, which in Thailand is known as as 'som tam' (ส้มตำ), is one of the most commonly available and most popularly consumed dishes in all of Thailand. Originating in the northeastern part of Thailand (Isaan), bordering the country of Laos, the dish is a staple for the entire area. Som Tam is a popular Thai salad featuring green papaya and a spicy chile pepper dressing. The multitude of flavors from this salad explode in your mouth—sweet, tart, crunchy, and a touch of spiciness—the perfect side dish or a light entree.
Thai Papaya Salad instructions
- Pasrah/serut pepaya. Sisihkan..
- Uleg bawang putih n cabe hingga hancur. Lalu beri garam/kecap ikan, gula/palem/madu, terasi, perasan air jeruk nipis n asam jawa. Aduk rata. Masukkan ebi. Koreksi rasa. Masukkan pepaya. Aduk rata. Sajikan pd suhu ruangan ato dingin. Bisa tahan dlm kulkas selama 2-3 hari..
Traditionally, Som Tam is pounded with a mortar and pestle, which can be fun at times. Som Tam is the Thai phrase for shredded green papaya salad mixed with tomatoes, peanuts, chili, onions, dried shrimps and sauces. It can be made vegetarian or vegan by substituting the non-vegan ingredients. What is a Good Substitute for Green Papaya? Thai green papaya salad is known as som tum.